onsdag 3. april 2019

Slow Crafting

SLOW CRAFTING

English-paper-piecing

Standing in a craft shop last week, I gazed around the shelves and realized how many cuick-fix craft projects that have become availiable over the past decades. New ideas, new products, quickly slapped together, here today, gone tomorrow. Food for thought.
(Fabric washed and ready for ironing, destined for English paper pieceing quilt-project.) 
(Cutting templates for EPP out of old cardboard. Slow work.)

Reading online, I discovered that there actually is something called "Slow Crafting". I love the expression. It speaks to me of quality, love, time spent in thoughtful meditation, uniqueness...the list goes on. Something made today, and still here tomorrow. 

(Last snowfall of the season)

There is a lot of talk about -slow- these days. Slow eating, slow travelling, slow living...slow crafting.
It's not about lazyness, but about using our time in the best possible way and really being present in what we do and where we are.
I'm off to cut some more templates for my VERY slow English-paper-pieced quilt-project. It's going to take years, but,hey, what's the hurry?!

Pam xxx

4 kommentarer:

  1. Hi Pam!! What a great subject to blog about in these days!!
    I loved reading this blogpost of you, because you're so right and personally I thought the same a few months ago. I felt so very hurried by commissions to be done and thought: now I have to stop with this and also because it's now that I still will be able to create my miniature farm. Why such a hurry for others and still haven't done anything for myself?? So I did, and I must say it's the best way to work/do, because I now found back my energy and love for making miniatures. And the customers....well, they'll have to wait for whenever I'm ready again for making/finishing my commissions ;O. Now I more feel back at ease and I'm creating what I love :)!
    By the way, I so would love to see again something made by you, in real life or in mini, because you always have such original work to show here :D!
    Happy Slow Crafting, dear Pam.
    Warm hugs, Ilona

    SvarSlett
  2. Det er vel dette som kjennetegner tida vi lever i: Alt skal være kjapt og enkelt. Jeg tror at litt "slow-crafting" i lengden er bedre for oss alle. :-)

    SvarSlett
  3. You are absolutely right Pam. Why hurry? Everyone has a right to enjoy life on his own pace and according to his mood at the time.
    Have a lovely spring with slow crafting!
    Hugs, Drora

    SvarSlett
  4. Hi Pam, I agree with you about a lot of cheap 'quick fix' projects using materials of questionable quality.

    I think my crochet fits the bill of "slow craft" as it takes me ages to make things.

    I am all about doing things well rather than slapdash in a hurry.

    Paper piecing is beautiful. I believe it is good for repurposing smaller scraps of fabric - good for the environment - or more intricate shapes. I tried to start once but my fingers are so clumsy it was very painful. I always end up with the needle in my finger instead of the fabric!

    If crochet is 'slow' for me, then paper piecing is 'super slow'. Nothing wrong with that. I enjoy the slow pace. Have fun with your slow crafts, Pam. :-)

    SvarSlett

Thank you for leaving a few words, I love your comments